Locknuts?

To: Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Locknuts?
From: "P.J.Aeckerlin" <j.aeckerlin@tiscali.nl>
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 21:49:53 +0200
Friends,
I'm assembling the front wheel suspension components of my BJ8 to see
whether they fit in my rebuilt chassis. I use the mechanical Service
Parts List AKD 3523 to see what goes where.
To my astonishment the bolts holding the Spring Seat to the Lower Links
are secured by a spring washer LWZ306 AND a nut coded LNZ206 which in my
opinion is a self-locking nut.
What's the reason behind using a spring washer AND a self-locking nut? I
like safety/security, but this is going a bit too far in my opinion.
Don't you call that belt and braces?
I also noticed that sometimes (as an example: fixing of the Steering
Column Bracket)  a plain washer is used, followed by a spring washer,
followed by a normal nut. In my opinion the spring washer can be left
out as it wouldn't do anything good to hold the nut.
Am I old fashioned, or is British Engineering so much different from
Continental Engineering?
Your reactions are welcome.
Jack Aeckerlin, The Netherlands
1964 BJ8 29432