Down draft Webers

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Down draft Webers
From: WAS <Waschu2@charter.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 09:14:16 -0400
Hi,
        I thought I would let everyone know how the Healey with the downdraft
Webers and the cam timing off 8 degrees ended up.
        We decided to first replace the Webers with an original set of HD-8
carburetors with the proper 2 inch manifold from a BJ-8 and keep the
same header as before. The engine had already been rebuilt to  over 2700
cc with a BJ-8 cam that is advanced 8 degrees. The problem was a very
narrow power band and no low end torque.
        The results have been excellent, a much better running car with lots of
power across the whole rpm range. This coupled with a Smitty's five
speed transmission and the original 4:11 rear end has turned it into a
totally different car.
        Turned out the Webers were 26/27 mm not the 32/36 mm Webers as thought.
What were they thinking!
        The only problems were we had to grind the intake manifold in a couple
of areas to clear the header and we had to make a bracket to support the
gas pedal linkage at the fire wall end like a late car. Turns out the
rubber support bushing is in different places from early to late cars.
We copied the original bracket from my BJ-8 and mounted it with threaded
inserts with screws so it could be removed later if someone wanted to
return to original.
        As for the cam being off 8 degrees, I believe that is about a half a
tooth and we will leave it for now. If the radiator ever has to come out
we might address this with off set keys

                                      Regards
                                       Wayne

PS: If you see a set of downdraft Webers for a Healey on Ebay ......