Re: Choke Cable Covering '65 BJ8

To: "Doug Newton" <dnewton@nappco.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Choke Cable Covering '65 BJ8
From: "davidwjones" <davidwjones@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 12:45:03 -0400
Doug,
I ran into the same problem with the secondary choke cables for my tricarb.
--I could get the steel wound cable, in the correct lengths, from the usual
sources, but had to slightly machine the lead cable ends to make them fit, and
the cable sheath was bare metal rather than black vinyl or whatever the
original material was.
What I did, was to use black electrical shrink wrap. -Slid it onto the cable
sheath and heated it to shrink to the cable, then trimmed the excess off the
ends with a razor blade. -It gives a nice smooth tight black plastic cover to
the cable, and with the usual products, it shines up to look like vinyl too.
I had trouble finding the shrink wrap in long enough lengths to do the job, at
the local hardware stores, so I used the following link to buy it on line.
http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&DID=7&WebPage_ID=73&raid=2&rak=heat%
20shrink%20tubing

I have been out with the car on extremely hot days since, and it seems to hold
up just fine, and seems to be resistant to solvents, vapors, gas, oil etc.
David W. Jones
'62 Mk II BT7 tricarb
Cumberland, RI USA