RE: RE:Frozen carb advice

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: RE:Frozen carb advice
From: Stephen Hutchings <s.hutchings@rogers.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 11:13:09 -0400
Mike Brouillette has asked me to post the advice on freeing the stuck
butterfly, so that it will appear in the archives. Here's the gist of
it:

I guess I would try temperature.  First freeze it in the freezer for
at least half an hour.  Then let it warm up a little and try to move
things.  Next try heating it with a hair dryer or paint peeler
(carefully), or heat the outside while the butterfly is still cold if
not frozen, etc etc.  You get the idea, right?  Some combination
should allow the butterfly to move a little even if the shaft doesn't,
as you push on the butterfly with your fingers.

Good luck,

-Roland

Warm the carb body where the shaft enters with a propane torch. The
aluminum will expand and you should be able to rotate the shaft.  May
take a couple tries with applications of penetrating oil. Smells bad
but usually works.
Aloha
Perry