RE: Provenance and Identity

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Provenance and Identity
From: "BJ8Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 17:24:13 -0700
Editorgary wrote:

"To be considered the "real" car, a car with a
specific serial number must have an unbroken, full-documented ownership
history
associated with that serial number from the day it left the factory to the
present.
---------------------

BJ8 Healeys are certainly not limited-production or unique, top-flight
marques in the same category as Old Number One, C- or D-type Jags, or 100Ss.
But to most owners of these cars, they are very special vehicles.  Shouldn't
they have their ownership histories documented and preserved for the benefit
of future owners?

Since most of the BJ8 owners who contact the BJ8 registry for information
are trying to determine the ownership history of their cars, and since there
are almost no other sources for that information, it is my goal to document
the continuous ownership of each BJ8 for as many individual cars as
possible.  By having this resource, former owners are able to get in touch
with later owners (and vice versa) to transfer original sales documentation,
owners handbooks, bills of sale, photographs, or just to talk about the car.
This has actually happened many times.  If you are a BJ8 owner and you think
this is a good thing, and unless you know you have already provided all you
know about the ownership history of your car, I would like to hear from you.
Heck, even if you think you have already provided the information, I would
like to hear from you.  I'll tell you if I already have everything I hope to
record for your car.  Most owners know at least the name of the previous
owner, and that's a start.

None of us can keep our car forever, and I think most of us hope that the
Healey passion will survive us.  Perhaps some owner of your car years from
now will be glad that you had enough consideration for the future that you
allowed the history of your car to be recorded for their benefit.

Happy Healeying!
Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry