Re: painting a BN2

To: Wesp11@aol.com, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: painting a BN2
From: CNAArndt@aol.com
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 03:08:33 EDT
Hugh,

There were a number of variations on how the two tone line met the rear of
the front wheel opening.

On BN1s and very early BN2s with the smaller front wheel arch, which measures
approximately 9 inches from the top of the fender to the top of the wheel
arch.  The paint line just continued straight until it flowed into the top of
the
wheel arch.  Also the 100Ss were painted this way as well as the early 100Ms.

On later BN2s starting roughly in the fall (Sep.) of '56 the front wheel arch
was made larger and now measured 7 1/2 inches from the top of the fender to
the top of the wheel arch.  As such the paint line would now either have to
curve up to meet the top of the wheel arch or if the curve of the swage line
was
followed it would intersect the arch below the top and not look very good. My
opinion.

As such, the curve back was done at this time.  I know of two possible ways
in which this was done.  The first is well illustrated in John Wheatley's book
"Super Profile, Austin Healey 100."
Page 25 has a nice color photo of a Florida Green over Old English White car.
 This same picture also appears in Bill Piggot's book on the Austin Healey on
page 56.

Later on in production the size of the curve back may have increased,
although I can't find a picture if this style in any of my books.  However, I
believe
that Bill Meade who runs the 100M registry provides a template for this
larger curve back.

Cheers,

Curt Arndt
Carlsbad, CA