Re: BJ8 starting problem

To: fmags@cox.net
Subject: Re: BJ8 starting problem
From: Blue One Hundred <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2005 11:50:17 +0800
Frank -
 I doubt it's an ignition problem. You probably have some sort of fuel
mixture or fuel delivery problem.
 First and foremost, when you did your tune up, did you adjust your carbs?
You have to do this every time you do a tune up on timing and the
distributor. Check your manual on how to do this, it is very easy once you
get the hang of it.
 I would also check:
 1) Is your fuel pump pumping fuel fast enough?
2) Do you have grose jets or are your float jets sticking closed?
3) If you have an inline fuel filter, have you replaced it recently? Or is
it really old and potentially clogged up?
4) have you checked and tightened the carb mounting nuts? It doesn't need to
be that tight, but if it's a little loose you will get air seepage into the
intake manifold causing problems similar to what you describe
5) Are the throttle shafts on your Carburettors loose? If so, you will get
air seepage into the intake manifold again, causing the symptoms you
describe. If so you need to rebuild your carbs & put in new throttle bushes.
6) Is the casting plug on the back of your intake manifold loose? Run your
hand on the part of the intake manifold facing the firewall, and feel the
little casting plug and see if it's popped out any.. that will cause your
problems too
7) Check to see if there is fuel seepage on the underside of you HD8s. If
so, you may have ripped Jet diaphrams... causing fuel to leak out before
getting into the intake manifold.
 Good Luck,
 Alan
 '53 BN1 '64 BJ8