Re: Break in new rear end

To: RonFineEsq@earthlink.net, mlempert@bellsouth.net
Subject: Re: Break in new rear end
From: MBran89793@aol.com
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2005 22:56:40 EDT
Hi Ron-

Several years ago when I got the Lempert gear set installed by Alan's
GearWorks, Inc.in Clearwater, FL, I was given an instruction sheet which I will

quote.

"Because of the slight roughness of the new gear contact faces and  the heavy
preloads that must be applied to new tapered roller  bearing, your new rear
axle will generate its maximum amount of waste heat  in its first few miles.
With use, bearing preloads diminish and gear  surfaces become smoother.
Therefore, the first few hundred miles on a new  gearset are the most crucial.
prevent premature (and almost immediate)  failure of your new gearset, this
break-in procedure must be  followed.

Recommendations for proper break-in are:
1)Keep drives short (less than 10 miles) for the first 100 miles.
2)Keep road speeds below 50 MPH for the first 100  miles.

The intent of this procedure is to prevent overheating of the gear
lubricant. Its lubricating qualities can breakdown at high temperatures and any

I hope this will be of some benefit to you and anyone who is in  need of the
break-in instructions.
After the gearset was installed in my BJ8 "Blackie" and the  break-in
procedure followed, we took our first trip from St. Petersburg, FL to  South
Lake
Tahoe, NV for the Open Roads-Healey International 2002. The total  trip
distance
was 6,060 miles and I must say that I was a pleasure to  be able to cruise
with the "Big Boys" (18 wheelers) without feeling like the  engine was being
overstressed  continually .
My personal thanks to Mike Lempert for making these  gears available to a
number of the Healey drivers that have really  appreciated and enjoyed them
also.

Marion
In memory of my friend "HOYO"-Howard Lee  Young, Jr. (2/5/57-5/9/05)
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave  safely in a well preserved
body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn  out, shouting "----holy
shit----what a ride !"