Socket for rear axle nut

To: sbyers@ec.rr.com, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Socket for rear axle nut
From: Robert Larson <robertlarson@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 17:55:08 -0400
Hi All,

          From the Craftsman tool catalog for 2005-2006 the current
number is 0947791 for the 2 3/16 socket and the price is $22.99.   The
1/2 to 3/4 adapter is number 094271 for $6.99.    So $30 total  verses
$50,  but that is for a 12 point that "catches" verses an 8 point that
is correct.   I have no known source for a 4 or 8 point socket in these
sizes,   Your choice here.

            Also from personal experience in the distant past,  the
prices are higher in a Sears store but more important is that my
observation was that the items were different in that the store had
cheaper imported items verses the higher quality domestic items via mail
order.  Your mileage may vary!

             I have not had any experience in the rear axle nut area but
I have had the problem of trying to optimize the grip of a socket, and
if available, the simplest solution was the socket in a "V"ee block
against a belt sander to square it up.

Bob
55BN1