Re: Rear wheel bearings

To: Bob Johnson <robert.w.johnson@adelphia.net>
Subject: Re: Rear wheel bearings
From: Dave & M <rusd@velocitus.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 11:03:40 -0600
Hi Bob,

The comment was a bit "tongue in cheek".

It depends on the "starting condition " of the parts. If they are
presently good, it means that the leakage rate & the wear rates are not
likely to become a disaster for a while. Lots of Healeys are running
around with wet rear brake shoes. With most types of linings, they still
work ok since very little stopping is actually done by the rear brakes.
The mechanical wear problems, mainly the axle housing shoulder, & the
carriers  will eventually get to the point where you can't keep things
tight & the possibility of a major breakdown is likely. Replacement of
the axle housing, bearings, & carriers would be required. Hopefully, you
won't actually lose a wheel while driving. Neglected Healeys usually end
up in the hands of the next owner who has to do major replacement/repair
at great expense. I wouldn't let the problem go for very long.

Dave Russell
BN2