Re: Fan belt problem?

To: Paul Negus <Paul.Negus@ipl.com>, Healey List
Subject: Re: Fan belt problem?
From: Earl Kagna <kags@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 16:26:30 -0700
Paul:

It could be that you don't have to do anything more - if the noise does not
re-appear and all else stays well, you've probably fixed it by readjusting
the belt.

Moss lists a different P/N for the BN4 / 6 belt than the later 3/8" belt - I
don't own a BN4, but the belt I use on my BT7 is a Gates 11A1120  (3/8" x
44").  The BN4 belt is probably slighty shorter or slightly longer - just
about any auto parts shop should be able to source an equivalent to your
belt - say an 1110 or 1130 length.  You'll probably find that there is no
choice but to get a toothed belt - not good for concours, but they do work
better.  Maybe a BN4 or BN6 owner looking in could provide you with what is
the correct length belt for your car.

Best bet if you think a replacement belt is in order would be to remove your
old belt and take it with you to the shop and have them match it on the
spot.  There should be just enough room between the crankshft nut and the
frame cross-member for the belt to squeeze by - if that is not the case, you
may have engine mount problems (or worse, G** forbid!).  If your belt is
old, it may be a good idea to replace it anyway as a preventive maintenance
measure.  (keep the removed one in the boot as a spare).

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BT7 tri-carb
BJ8