Rear End PM

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rear End PM
From: "Mark and Kathy" <mgtrcars@galaxyinternet.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 22:01:01 -0500
I just replaced the thrust washers behind the small gears in my rear axle just
as a general PM while I had it apart for cleaning , paint and new bearings.
Since I can't stand the smell of "rear end" fluid I used STP  to coat these
gears until I get around to filling the axle up completely?

1- Will   it blend alright with the 80/90 fluid  when the time comes.    Maybe
I should have asked before I did.  : (

 2- What would be a recommended lube for the ball bearings until fill up time
and should they be presoaked in 80/90
     or will they get lube just from normal running?

 3-  I have the Pumpkin unit upside down in a large coffee can (works great by
the way ) and when I move the ring back
       and  forth (gently) there is a "knock, knock" between it and the pinion
gears.   No noticeable teeth wear or side to
      side movement.  Noise WAS there before I replaced the thrust washers.
I know there should be some play but this sounds excessive.   But then I know
nothing about rear end  gearing.    ( But I'm learning)
     Anybody ever play with their ring and pinion like this?    Try and  keep
it clean gentlemen   ;  )

Thanks,   Mark