Brake problems

To: "Healey List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Brake problems
From: "Fred Wescoe" <fredwescoe@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 19:21:41 -0400
Took the Healey out for a run today and discovered that the brake pedal was
soft. Upon returning home, I found an oil spot on the garage floor, under the
right rear wheel. I pulled the wheel and brake drum and discovered the shoes
and drum were covered in brake fluid. The cylinder was leaking.

Fortunately, I have a set of replacement rear cylinders that I purchased last
year and simply did not get them installed as yet.

The question now is, do I replace the set of shoes or can I clean them with
brake cleaner? Same question for the drum. If I have to replace the shoes, I
guess I should replace both sides at the same time?

While trying to remove the brake line from the cylinder, the flare nut
crumbled and now there is nothing to grip so, I must also replace the brake
line but I cannot break it loose from the 3 way connection. Before I ruin that
fitting, any suggestions on how to remove the flare nut without rounding it
over or breaking it off?

Who is a good source for the parts, as the list of needed parts will increase
I am sure.

Thanks,

Fred

BJ7