Ethanol as an additive to gasoline - long - PART 2

To: Austin Healey list <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Ethanol as an additive to gasoline - long - PART 2
From: "M.E. & E.A. Driver" <edriver@sasktel.net>
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2005 17:02:50 -0600
Hello Folks
Here is the second half of  my post to the List on this subject in 2001.
Kind regards
Ed
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
'65 BJ8       '89 Morgan 4/4

Original starts here as second part

"
Also I posted this question on the British Automobile Touring
Association of Nova Scotia (BATANS) list to which I belong; and I
wrote of the the members who has an excellent technical
background (Ben Fullerton).  One of the lads on that list (I have
lost his e-mail and e-mail address) suggested that I look at a
page on Team.net. I'll provide that below.

Ben Fullerton, BATANS, wrote " ..I can't provide a
reference...even though I have heard it many times from sources
that are usually reliable. Most carbs that I have overhauled have
"rubber" seals ... none as extensive has the diaphragms in
Strombergs.
At this time, my approach would be to take some old seals from
any SU new enough to have them and soak them in a closed bottle
of mixed gas and ethanol for a few days."

 From Bill Bressington, owner of S.U. Midel in Australia comes the
following " Yes the Australian oil companies are adding
ethanol, toluene and other aromatics. We are not having trouble
with the major oil brands Shell, BP, Caltex, etc. but the cheap
or cheaper brands the toluene is making the nitrile "o" rings in
the fuel pumps swell to twice their normal size and blowing out,
also some fuel hoses are being affected, it seems more prevalent
when LRP lead replacement is used.

The main diaphragm is not affected by the fuel, and we are
changing the nitrile "o" rings to viton which withstands the
"nasties"."

 From the Renewable Fuels Association (http://www.ethanolRPA.org)
several quotes:

"...Today's cars are built to be compatible with ethanol blended
fuels and are warranted for its use. When ethanol was first
introduced in the early 1980's some cars experienced
deterioration of some elastomers (rubber like parts) and metal in
fuel system component. Very quickly manufacturers upgraded these
fuel system components so that today they are all compatible with
ethanol fuels."

 From the same web site (RFA) in a document "Changes in Gasoline
and the Classic Auto" in a section "Materials Compatibility"
Obliviously the fuel system materials used in late model vehicles
are dramatically improved compared to the original equipment used
in vintage/classical vehicles.
Older fuel systems could contain natural rubber or synthetic
rubber much less compatible with today's fuels than the Viton and
fluoroelasteromers use in modern fuel systems. Usually, however,
older cars have already had most of the fuel system components
replaced."

 From another club mate on the BATANS chat list the following
reference to Team.net was provided, it is as follows:
http://team.net/sol/tech/octane_b.html .

After all this there are a few warning signs, especially if your
system is old, which is stay away from altered gasoline.
Determine from parts suppliers whether or not ViTon or equivalent
is used in the fuel system parts you plan to purchase.
Although what I have posted is certainly open to criticism, I
have decided that I'll drive the extra distance to use Shell.

Finally I would like to thank all who responded to my initial
post, to those who I approached for comment and provided their time and
knowledge, and to U of Sask. Dept. of Engineering. Sorry for the
long delay in posting this to the list.

Kind regards
Ed
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan