Re: Reid's Car

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Reid's Car
From: "Reid Trummel" <editor_reid@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 22:01:30 +0000
Hi Peter,

Good to hear from you and thanks for the kind words and remembrances.  (As a
retired US Army officer I have a rather higher standard for use of the word
"heroic" than my long drive, but I appreciate the thought.)

The Sep-Oct issue of "Austin-Healey Magazine" is currently in the mail and
members should be receiving it these days.  In addition to my 100M being on
the cover, there's also a story (with photos) about it on the inside, and I
hope folks enjoy it.  It's a bit special, even among 100Ms, since I bought
it from the original owner.

For anyone interested in the long drive I made that you mentioned, let me
synopsize it:

-- Drove my "other 100" (the one that isn't a 100M, but which does now have
the Le Mans kit installed) out of long-term storage in northern Idaho down
to the West Coast Meet at Lake Tahoe (this was the first meet there, in
1991).

-- Then drove up to hometown of Portland OR for several days.

-- Then drove up into Canada, and all the way across Canada to New York
state, where I then linked up with Dick & Beth Lunney who were staying on
the shore of Lake Erie (or was it Lake Ontario?).  I also managed to hit,
ands fatally wound, what must have been the world's last remaining
sabre-tooth seagull (that critter was BIG, and unfortunately, slow), on the
trans-Canada portion.

-- Then drove over the Sturbridge MA for Conclave.  (Where I did NOT receive
the long-distance award for reasons that have never been made clear.  The
guy who did receive it drove from Wisconsin, and as I said at the time, I
had put on more miles in first gear alone than he did on his entire trip!)
:-)

-- Then drove down to Washington DC where I took up my new military
assignment.

It was quite a trip.  Glad you see you active on the List.  Thanks again.

Reid Trummel
Portland, Oregon
100, 100M, Ski-Master