RE: Friday Funnies- Warning -Very Non Politically Correct

To: "'Dallas Congleton'" <dcong996@earthlink.net>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Friday Funnies- Warning -Very Non Politically Correct
From: "Clyde Stutzman" <clyde.stutzman@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 15:46:54 -0500
Not true. Snopes.com, the famed debunker of urban myths, says this about
"Hurricane Rules":

Claim:   Comedian George Carlin wrote a list of "Hurricane Rules."

Origins:   This list of supposed common sense 'rules' has been attributed
both to comedian George Carlin and to New Orleans blues musician Bill
Boudreaux. It does not appear to be the work of either: Boudreaux's name
came to be associated with the piece more than a week after it appeared, and
Carlin's did not appear in association with it until October 2005. Our first
sighting of the item was on the alt.vacation.las-vegas USENET newsgroup,
where it appeared in a 14 September 2005 post. Even at that early date the
identity of the diatribe's author had been obscured, with the poster later
disclaiming having written it himself in the discussion thread sparked by
his offering.

George Carlin has disclaimed authorship of similar humor-tinged political
screeds. As we've discovered, just about any unsourced list of witty
observations about politics and social mores will eventually become credited
to him as it passes from inbox to inbox. As he has posted on his web site
about such soapboxings: "DON'T BLAME ME"

"Floating around the Internet these days, posted and e-mailed back and
forth, are a number of writings attributed to me, and I want people to know
they're not mine. Don't blame me."

"Some are essay-length, some are just short lists of one and two-line jokes,
but if they're flyin' around the Internet, they're probably not mine.
Occasionally, a couple of jokes on a long list might have come from me, but
not often. And because most of this stuff is really lame, it's embarrassing
to see my name on it."

"And that's the problem. I want people to know that I take care with my
writing, and try to keep my standards high. But most of this "humor" on the
Internet is just plain stupid. I guess hard-core fans who follow my stuff
closely would be able to spot the fake stuff, because the tone of voice is
so different. But a casual fan has no way of knowing, and it bothers me that
some people might believe I'd actually be capable of writing some of this
stuff."

George Carlin offers this bit of wisdom: "Nothing you see on the Internet is
mine unless it came from one of my albums, books, HBO shows, or appeared on
my website."