Re: Paintless dent repair

To: HealeyBJ7@aol.com
Subject: Re: Paintless dent repair
From: Charlie Baldwin <ewsinc@suscom.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 08:44:30 -0500
Bob,
All of the paintless dent removal processes are not the same.  Some glue
something to the body to pull the dent out with a puller that bridges
the dent and spreads the force over a larger area.  These rely on paint
adhesion to the substrate since you are actually pulling on the paint.
Other processes require access to the rear of the dent.  I would take it
to a reputable body shop Good shops have access to some sort of
paintless system or use a trusted subcontractor.  They can determine
what process will work best and give you a free estimate.  Make sure
that they know they are working with aluminum.  I don't think that they
necessarily use the sometime occurrence of steel popping back in place
as a requirement.  Some of the "Dent Wizard" type of places don't know
anything about regular body work and what the various options may be.
We have had many dents removed on one of our daily drivers by a local
shop, first from hail damage and then a few parking lot dents.  All have
been done very well and within the estimate.  However, they keep their
process a secret, so I don't know what they do exactly.
Charlie