Re: Ooops! Did it again...

To: "scott willis" <ahpowered@hotmail.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Ooops! Did it again...
From: "Greg Lemon" <glemon@neb.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 23:36:08 -0600
Scott, Check the simple things first, this each of these has happened to me
more than once in the past:

1.  Not sure how to describe this one correctly, but the silver curved piece
of flat metal that goes with the points set needs to be insulated top and
bottom from the distributor base with the nylon pieces where it is held on
with the nut, but the wire from the condensor should be in contact with it.

2.  The little graphite extension in the distributor cap, should be there
and have spring tension so it makes good contact with the rotor

3.  Ah yes the rotor, make sure it is in the distributor where it belongs.
You have probably already done or checked this, but I remember a few tune
ups followed by, hmm, doesn't run at all now, followed by, oh, would
certainly work better if the rotor were in the distributor, not sitting on
my workbench.

Lucas fault finding manual available from the usual sources gives a series
of dignostic tests you can do to figure out what is wron with your ignition
system.  I think it is still under $10, don't leave home without it.

Greg Lemon
54 BN1