Re: Ooops! Did it again, & Cut Off Switch ques.

To: "Frenken, Eric" <efrenken@lctax.de>,
Subject: Re: Ooops! Did it again, & Cut Off Switch ques.
From: "davidwjones" <davidwjones@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 11:52:39 -0500
One more quick point on the cutoff switch.  --A fairly common (notorious)
problem with some of the reproduction cutoff switches over the last 10? years
or so has been that they can fail internally, leaving the points grounded,
even though the cutoff switch is turned to "ON".   --It left my car stranded
in the garage for about 2 weeks 2 years ago, while I sorted it out.
I believe the original post in this thread referred to the fact that the owner
was having trouble getting spark, after distributor maintenance. ---Try
disconnecting the white wire w/ the black stripe on the cutoff switch and try
starting the car.
When my cutoff switch failed, it worked as far as battery power on/off went,
however the points were always grounded, making spark impossible. --When the
switch failed, turning it, --it felt slightly gritty.

David W. Jones
'62 Mk II BT7 tricarb
Cumberland, RI USA