Early BN1 I.D. Plates

To: "Healeys" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Early BN1 I.D. Plates
From: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 20:34:58 -0500
Hello all,
A few weeks ago I mentioned the fact that I'm working with a skilled resin
casting manufacturer who is attempting to exactly replicate these early rare
white plastic I.D. plates that are so often missing from the BN1's built to
the mid summer of 1954.

I lent him my own original I.D. plate and he's been using it to cast a new
master.

He has now called me to say that he's having some difficulty in achieving an
adequate depth of all the lettering to be able to achieve a perfect master. My
plate has the lettering in the upper left portion shallower and less defined
than what is in the rest of the plate.

The only way to really get this right would be to try another better defined
plate to take a master from.

This is the only problem we now have. He has nailed down the ivory colour of
the resin, and other than a few of the upper left letters being very faint,
the  reproductions are excellent with shrinkage across the entire plate
measured in only a few thousandths of an inch! The individual car numbers have
been blanked out and folks will be able to stamp their own numbers into the
resin plates with their own machinist's stamps.

We're close on this. I just need a better more defined example.

Can someone lend us an original plastic I.D. plate that has all the lettering
clearly defined and with even depth of lettering?

I would take personal responsibility with it's safety and careful return.

Please let me know.

Rich Chrysler