Starting to Find Rust

To: "Austin-Healey List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Starting to Find Rust
From: "Ned Smith" <smithn00@kitepilot.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 11:24:12 -0500
I am starting to find the rust that the PO said wasn't there.

I took off the Gear box cover and one thing led to another. The corner where
the fire wall and the floor pan meet the gear box cover is pretty much air
for 2" in all directions. I started scraping up the tar paper that covered
the rest of the pan and it came up with a layer of rust. But the underlying
metal seems sound under that though.

I don't have the resources to fix that right now so I need a
semi-temporary(six months to one year) solution.

I propose to treat the area with POR-15 to stabilize the situation. Then pop
rivet new sheet metal over the holes coating the joint liberally with
silicone chalk.

Does this wound reasonable?

What gauge sheet metal should I use? I know this has been talked about in
the recent past but I can't seem to find the right search parameters to find
the answer.

Thanks,

Ned Smith

BJ8