Checking Camber measurement

To: Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Checking Camber measurement
From: "Steve B. Gerow" <steveg@abrazosdata.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 11:29:12 -0800
I recently installed the Cape offset trunnion bolt setup, which I set to the
maximum negative camber.

My idea for checking the camber was to compare the angle of the rear wheel
hub--which we may take as vertical to the ground as a given--to that of the
front hub. FWIW--the toe-in is within specs.

I have a Protractor Level. It has a level bubble setup in a 360 degree
rotating protractor. It can measure the angle of something against gravity
by rotating it while watching the level bubble between the cross hairs.

Google shows these available for around $20 at a place called Tesco.

So what I did was, with the car on my (slanted) garage floor, remove both
the rear and front knockoffs on one side of the car. The rear hub is
perpendicular to the floor at 3-1/2 degrees from vertical. I then measured
the front hub which was also 3-1/2 degrees from vertical. Rotated the car
180 degrees, then repeated for other side of car with same results.

So, with the camber set at the max negative, the front wheels are at the
same angle from the floor as the rear wheels. This would seem to indicate I
now have zero degrees camber.

If there is something wrong with my methodology, I'll gladly publish a
retraction.

What I haven't done is check the stock setup on my car.
--
Steve Gerow
Pasadena CA