POR15 -rust question / alternatives

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: POR15 -rust question / alternatives
From: "Allen C Miller, Jr." <acmiller@mhcable.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 08:38:38 -0500
What experience has the List had with spraying POR15 rust treatment into the
box frame and outrigger sections? I've seen it work on surface sheet metal
really well. Is it worth invading the frame with weep holes that you have to
plug in order to effective apply it?

I am considering it because we live in the northeast. When I was jacking the
car to block it, water poured out through a small drill hole in the frame
around the rear axle. We had driven in heavy rain previously. This gives pause
for concern that standing water is getting in and staying in the box frames
etc.

Alternative two is to have a professional in New Hampshire drill and spray in
ATF. There is a guy who's done it for 20 years, and the New Hampshirites, long
sufferers from salt corrosion, swear by it, even with Subarus and other
rust-prone cars. His technique involves 3/8" polystyrene plugs that he inserts
the first time, then removes on each annual inspection. If I did this, there
would have to be at least two holes at the low portion of the main rails, and
one each where the outriggers meet the rails. Unlike the POR single
application, you would not be able to permanently  seal the holes back up.

Pros and Cons appreciated on both approaches.

Allen Miller BN2M