Re: Brake Line and engine bay painting

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>, "BRUCE HARDING" <bkharding@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Brake Line and engine bay painting
From: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 07:58:18 -0500
Bruce,
As Michael has answered, Doug Reid is the only source who will supply the
brake lines pre bent, and his work is excellent.

The Anderson/Moment Restoration book is good for showing what in the engine
bay was originally body colour and what was black, plated, etc. I'm
including some pics that shows a lot of this detail. It really helps when
the pics are in colour.

Meanwhile, basic rule of thumb by the time your BT7 was built they had
worked the process out to the point where you can figure all the parts that
were required to hold, position and fasten all the body panels in place were
painted body colour. This was of course to also include left vs. right hand
drive blanking plates because this was already determined when the bare
complete body shell was painted at Jensen's.

Therefore, all mechanical parts and hardware that were installed later at
Abingdon would be black or plated, not body colour. For example, the
mounting plate for the bonnet latching mechanism was painted body colour as
were it's mounting screws, but the sliding mechanism was plated because it
was required to slide freely, while the release rod and bell crank bits were
painted black.

The engine mount brackets and their rubbers were prepainted engine colour,
their bolts to the frame zinc plated. The gusset plates and fasteners to
support the shroud lip to the upright supports were part of the body
assembly, so painted body colour.

One exception is the cross brace in front of the radiator. This was hand
brush painted dull black so it wouldn't show up through the grille when the
car was viewed from the front.

The left and right side splash plates immediately inboard of the headlamp
buckets were another exception in that though they had to be installed much
later after the grille assembly was installed, they were body colour, but
their bottom corner steady brackets were black so they wouldn't be seen
where they come across to fasten to the lower outer grille bolts.

I can't immediately think of everything, but this should get you a long way.
Any more questions, ask away!

In case any body else is interested, (this engine bay detailing gets asked a
lot) I have fwd. this to Bob Haskell to post with pictures on:
http://www.team.net/www/healey/tech/big_hly/rich_chrysler/index.html

Rich Chrysler