RE: Speaking of Trafficators

To: "'Bob Haskell'" <rchaskell@earthlink.net>,
Subject: RE: Speaking of Trafficators
From: "Tracy Drummond" <bighealey@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 05:20:50 -0800
I put my trafficator photos up on my website www.wavewired.net/~tracy

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-healeys@autox.team.net [mailto:owner-healeys@autox.team.net] On
Behalf Of Bob Haskell
Sent: Tuesday, December 20, 2005 3:39 AM
To: Mark and Kathy
Cc: healeys@autox.team.net

Mark and Kathy wrote:
> Question for the more seasoned on this list.    My new trafficator cancels
> differently turning it left than it does when I turn it right.   Mind you
this
> unit is still on my bench and not in the car yet.
>
> Should the turn signal cancel on the INITIAL turn of the wheel or on the
> RETURN to home position.       How does one correct this snafu.    Guess I
> should have tested this right when I bought it.
>
> So much for quality control,    Mark

Mark,

It ought to cancel when you return the wheel back to center.  It sounds like
one
of the pawls isn't installed correctly.

Here's a low quality ascii picture of the pawls.  The lower piece should
have a
tapered side to the inside. The housing that the pawls are installed in
should
have a gap on the non-tapered side of the pawls.  As you start the turn and
turn
the wheel, the canceler hits the tapered end of the pawl.  The pawl should
pivot
allowing the canceler to pass.  When you straighten the wheel the canceler
hits
the pawl again. As the pawl can't pivot, it forces the pawl up which forces
the
switch to recenter.

             _           _
             o           o
                  ^
                  canceler

Someone put together a web page with photos showing how he rebuild a
trafficator
- within the last year.  You might search the archives.

  Bob