RE: cylinder head

To: <KingR44916@aol.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: cylinder head
From: "Peter Ryner" <pryner@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 19:17:55 -0500
I certainly don't recommend cutting it off.  First, get some PB Blaster and
soak it for a day or two.  Then either get a brake line wrench the right
size or modifiy one of your box end wrenches by cutting a slot in the wrench
just enough to get over the line.  The extra contact with the wrench and the
nut should allow you to get the nut off.  As I remember it is a 5/8" nut,
but it has been a long time since I took mine off.  There is no way to
replace the nut without cutting the capiliary tube which will cost a bundle
to repair.

The carbon buildup is not necessarily bad, but you want to clean it off.
You don't want a chunk to come off after you put the engine back together
and get caught between the piston and the wall/head.  I'm not what is
available now, but I had access to a carbon remover liquid which worked
wonders.  I like to raise the piston being cleaned to the top of the
cylinder to clean it.  My old manuals stated that there were two different
thoughts concerning decarbonizing the pistons.  One camp said to use a piece
of wood and get the big stuff off leaving a light coating which won't hurt
anything and will ensure you don't damage the pistons.  The second camp
thought it better to completely clean everything and make it like new.
Personally, I don't think a small amount will do any damage and IMO it is
better than scratching and damaging the pistons.  You will probably get some
cleaning fluid down the sides of the pistons so I would also recommend
changing the oil after cleaning and changing again after a few hours of
driving the reassembled engine.
Pete