Bleeding The Clutch Hydraulics

To: "Austin-Healey List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Bleeding The Clutch Hydraulics
From: "Ned Smith" <smithn00@kitepilot.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2006 18:47:13 -0500
Since I already had the gearbox cover off, I decided to bleed the hydraulic
clutch. My peddle travels at least an inch before the actuator starts to
move. I recognize that this is because of the worn clevis pin and wallowed
out actuator. The clutch seems to work properly but the peddle goes all the
way to the carpet so I wanted to see if bleeding would help.

My wife pumped the peddle and held it down. I opened the bleed valve. On
brakes this would give you a vigorous squirt. With the clutch, fluid kind of
oozed out. At first I thought nothing was happening then I saw that fluid
was slowly filling the bleed tube.

Is this normal?

Ned Smith

BJ8