RE: generator - alternator

To: "'Reinhart Rosner \(aon\)'" <aon.912808691@aon.at>,
Subject: RE: generator - alternator
From: "Simon Lachlan" <simon.lachlan@homecall.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 15:45:34 -0000
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-healeys@autox.team.net [mailto:owner-healeys@autox.team.net] On
Behalf Of Reinhart Rosner (aon)
Sent: 02 January 2006 14:22
To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: generator - alternator

During the last years i did not notice the problems about electrictiy in my
100 as I always thought it was the batteries that were weak. In autumn it
was necessary to change the batteries but at the Austrian Alpine Rallye the
real cause was evident. After some hours driving through the pouring rain
with wiper and driving lights on, the new batteries would not even let my
starter say beep.
As a new law will force us to drive with the lights on all day (like in the
Scandinavian countries) I am thinking about improvements for my electrical
power supply.

Is there any chance to get out more power from the original generator?
I believe that you could switch over to what they used to call the "Heavy
Duty Generator", which was the one fitted to Jags at the time. The
advantages would be
ease of mounting (simple swap)
originality (looks the same and was a contemporary mod anyhow)
price (find the right scrap yard/boot fair)

Is changing to an alternator the better way?
Better? It's the modern alternative.

Are there any spezial hints fort he European market regarding model and
mounting?
All the big UK Healey people sell them...Cape, SC etc.
Being based where you are, you might consider the eastern alternative. (A
friend of mine is mad about Russian/E.German cars and has a heap of
Moscovitches, Ladas etc. I saw in one of his Polish magazines that SCParts
German owner was advertising in Polish. Same ad as in our magazines, but
about half price. I suppose they manufacture over there? SC is big on Jags,
so there could be a useful overlap)

Will I have to change to negative ground or is it possible to keep it
positive?
You have to change.
Simon.

Regards