Re:   BN1/BN2 fenders

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:   BN1/BN2 fenders
From: Editorgary@aol.com
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 14:57:32 EST
In a message dated 1/2/06 7:37:11 AM, owner-healeys-digest@autox.team.net
writes:

> My Question was............. >> Is that  a BN1 type 'smaller wheel opening'
> 4 cyl guard?....

Now you've got me questioning my understanding of the evolution of 100
fenders. As I understand the progress, the BN1s had a smaller fender opening,
with
more distance between the fender top and wheel opening top, and the top of the
wheel opening was roughly on a line with the spear, so that if the car had a
two-tone paint job, the paint break line would extend to a point tangential
with the top of the wheel opening.
When the wheel opening was made larger, reducing the distance from seam to
wheel opening, the top of the opening was above the point where a line drawn
along the edge of the spear would intersect the opening. As a result,
something
had to be done to make the two-tone paint job work, and the decision was made
to make a nice curve at the front of the line, bringing the line down
vertically into the edge of the wheel opening behind the wheel.
A quick glance at the Redford pic suggests the second design, with the top of
the wheel opening above where the spear line would intersect the opening, and
a nice curve. Combine that with the two-tone paint job, the hood strap, and
the racing number, (and Redford's interest in having the best of stuff) and I
would have concluded with no doubts that this was a prime example of a
fractory
100M, made in the late fall of 1955.
What am I missing?
Cheers