Important Detail! - Ashtray Adjustment

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Important Detail! - Ashtray Adjustment
From: john close <f9cougar@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 17:35:20 -0800 (PST)
Dear Listers - I hate to be cross with you, but some
of you tend to focus excessively on piddly-ass minor
details, like paint colors, when to use pozi-drive
screws, when to castellate one's  nuts (?!). May I
please move us to higher ground and discuss my most
recent Healey acheivement? Yesterday, I made the final
adjustment on the ashtray of my BN6. Yes, you heard me
correctly. In 4 years of sorting the car, after its
restoration, I hadn't yet discovered the correct
torque to put on the 2 screws that fasten the ashtray
to the transmission tunnel.  At first, fearful of
drawing the ashtry down so tight that it'd pull
through its hole in the carpet, I kept the screws too
loose, resulting in difficulty in opening and closing
the ashtray lid. As I grew braver and tightened the
screws further, I found that the threads in the holes
were corroded, making it impossible to tighten the
screws sufficiently. Saturday, I settled in for a
Major Healey Procedure and chased the threads with the
proper tap. Nervously, I repaced the ashtray and
tightened the screws more than ever before. The
result: a perfectly settled ashtray, with a lid that
opens and shuts with ease.

I know, I know - I am bragging just a little, and for
that I apologize. My true purpose in sending this is
to remind you gents and ladies that any of us can take
on a difficult, highly sensitive Healey repair with
complete success. If I can, anyone can. - John C.

Yahoo! DSL  Something to write home about.
Just $16.99/mo. or less.
dsl.yahoo.com