coughing and spitting

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: coughing and spitting
From: "John Trifari" <jtrifari@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 09:17:31 -0800
I thought I would update all on the coughing/spitting problem I have
encountered with my BJ8.  I had a day off yesterday (Friday) so I drove out to
Dave Nock's in Stockton CA after a coughing and spitting start and a bit of
rough running (and some cold running in the morning fog).  The lids were
pulled off the carbs and it was discovered that the needles were not set
properly and were in fact installed lower than the marks.  (Who?  How?
dunno.)  In effect, the car was in a state of perpetual lean.  In addition,
one of the chokes was not working properly.  As a result, one jet could not be
moved so the mixture was not made richer when the choke was applied.   The
carbs were also full of carbon from blowback, as were the plugs.  Everything
was cleaned; the carbs reset, and  the choke fixed,  Anyway the car is running
much better, although it is still at David's.  We discovered rot in the cross
frame holding the forward end of the left rear spring, as well as rot in the
left-hand rocker panel, so the car is going to have some frame work.  Thanks
again to all for their help and suggestions.  John Trifari Golden Gate Austin
Healey Club