Re: sill extension and gusset

To: Gbouff1@aol.com, Healey List <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: sill extension and gusset
From: Earl Kagna <kags@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 20:05:21 -0800
Gary:

The replacement outer sill pieces usually contain the front and rear
extensions that wind up under the fenders when everything is assembled - the
ends are 'swaged' for this purpose.  The inner and intermediate sill pieces
(the 'box' section when assembled) run to the inside of the wheel arch
piece, and the outer sill (ie: the 'rocker') is welded to the outside of it
and runs into the wheel well to the outside of the front of the wheel arch,
just under the door shut pillar.  It's a lot harder to write down than to
look at (especially after a couple of vodkas) - 'a picture is worth a
thousand words'.

I looked at the photos in the restoration guide - I agree, they really don't
show things well - hard to photograph that area of a Healey that is fully
assembled.

I could send you a couple of digital pics of the general area - my BJ8 is
'bare naked' - patiently awaiting assembly in the garage and is essentially
the same as the earlier car in the sill / rocker / door shut pillar
construction.

Say the word.

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.