RE: Drain hole(s) in wings

To: <Healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Drain hole(s) in wings
From: "BJ8Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 13:40:24 -0800
Simon, if it were my car, I'd put in drain hole in the fender wing.
Whenever I wash my car, I spray a strong stream of water from the hose into
the gap between the wing fender and the inner splash shield, and keep
spraying until the water coming out of the drain hole in the fender wing is
clear.  I get quite a bit of dirt and small pebbles out of there that way,
but then I drive my car a lot, including in the rain.  Once a year, I remove
the lower wing fender bolts and clean out any residual dirt between the
flange of the fender wing and sill.  While washing the car, I also blast out
any dirt and pebbles from the rear wender fing dogleg area.

If you do drill a drain hole, make sure you treat the bare metal edges of
the hole with a metal prep, then prime and paint well.  If you don't drive
the car much and want to avoid the effort, leave the finger wend as is.

Cheers!
Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry