Problems with a Smitty BN1 installation

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Problems with a Smitty BN1 installation
From: "David" <dcrawfor@san.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 18:55:23 -0800
Esteemed Listers,

Here's the condition:  We are installing a Smitty's 5 speed conversion
kit mated to a Toyota W58 transmission into my '54 BN1.  We're using a
Toyota throwout bearing and assembly made for the transmission.  We've
installed a new BN1 pressure plate and a new Toyota clutch disk.

Here's the problem: When we bolt transmission/Smitty's bell housing
against the block, the throwout bearing is forced against the pressure
plate to the point that the clutch begins to slip.  The distance
between the bell housing and block appears to be a good 1/8 of an inch
gap.  Snugging up the bolts brings the block and bell housing
together - but then the clutch begins to engage.  We had to enlarge
the throwout arm port in the bell housing to even make it possible to
get any forward/return throw on the throwout bearing assembly.  We've
used the proper parts that Smitty listed. However, Smitty's
instructions show a diaphram type clutch pressure plate.  Is that what
one should use?  What part numnber?  Will it fit a BN1?

We've had the transmission in and out of the car now four times.
We're getting tired.

Question:  Have any of you who've made this conversion run into this
problem?  If so, how did you solve it?

Your help here is greatly appreciated!

David