BJ8 Trans Shifter Won't Move -- Help

To: "Healey List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: BJ8 Trans Shifter Won't Move -- Help
From: "Brashear, Jack, N" <JNBrashear@garverengineers.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 12:33:38 -0600
Hi All, I was about to install a center shift gear box ala BJ8 in a
guy's BN7 Mk 1 a few days ago.  He supplied the transmission and
reported to me that it had been recently road tested in another car and
that it was in great condition.  He claims that the oil seals and
gaskets had been recently replaced but that the O.D. unit had not been
separated from the trans.  The first motion shaft does turn freely by
hand but the flange out of the O.D. will not turn, even with a little
gentle pressure from a cheater bar.  Moreover, the shift lever moves
side-to-side just fine but it will not engage any gear.  The trans and
the shifter are apparently both in neutral.  I stored the trans on end
with the big end down for about two months before I discovered this
trouble.  I used wooden shims so the first motion shaft would clear the
storage pallet.  The trans had no lubricant in it but it does have an
apparent oily atmosphere inside.  I'm short on Healey transmission
experience so I'm asking for some feedback from this awesome
list.....please??
Thanks,
Jack