Re: Gauges Revisted

To: "Mark and Kathy" <mgtrcars@galaxyinternet.net>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Gauges Revisted
From: "davidwjones" <davidwjones@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 14:19:09 -0500
Mark and Kathy, --Just my personal opinion, others may differ. I cleaned up my
own gauges, but then, I also worked in the design and fabrication of medical
and research instrumentation for quite a few years. -So the extremely fiddly
does not bother me.
  Subject: Gauges Revisted

  I have a need to save some of my restoration moneys for other areas of the
car
  and would like to know what the list thinks about just doing a  gauge
"clean
  up".  I would like to save the $100.00 per gauge restoration charge  if
  possible.

  I have no problem with taking the gauges apart, but would like to hear some
  input on the  "do's and don'ts"  that some of you may have experienced.

  Such as:

  - cleaning and lubing gears and bushings

  - I VERY sparingly used electronic cleaner/solvent to remove dirt, oil, crud
from the workings of the guages. Rarely spraying with the aerosol, but more
often with Qtips, and tiny bits of paper towel.  I re-lubed any bearings with
a very light grade of INSTRUMENT oil.

  - cleaning the faces

  - My recommendation: stay as far away from the faces as possible. I have a
BT7 and therefore the Magnolia faces, and I found that they are extremely
vulnerable to damage, even by water. -Add age and heat effects, and I'm not
even comfortable with brushing them. -Before I found this out, I wound up
having to replace my speedo face. -Don't handle the faces.

  - how far to go on disassembling the different gauges?( I don't think I will
  be attempting to remove any of the needles at this time)

  I believe that I only removed the needles on the larger two guages. -Cannot
remember. For the most part, I mainly removed the backs, did some very
judicious cleaning and lubricating, cleaned the glass inside and out, cleaned
and plated the bezels, refinished the cases, and replaced the seals. -And felt
fortunate that they worked properly when reassembled.

  - are all the rubber "O" rings available now?

  -I believe they are. Try BCS.

  Thanks all wise and knowing Listmeisters,    Mark