[Fwd: Re: high engine oil pressure/oil sump gasket]

To: "John Harper" <AH@jharper.demon.co.uk>
Subject: [Fwd: Re: high engine oil pressure/oil sump gasket]
From: Dave & M <rusd@velocitus.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 07:07:43 -0700
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: high engine oil pressure/oil sump gasket
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 07:04:09 -0700
From: Dave & M <rusd@velocitus.net>
To: Manuel Formosinho Sanchez <ManuelFS@Emparque.pt>

Hi Manuel,

To my knowledge, the BN1 has a spring loaded oil pressure relief
(bypass) piston in the block. The piston, it's spring, & the cap are
located on the side of the block below the oil filter. The pressure side
of the pump connects to the block via a oil line from the pump to the
block. A return line connects from the pressure relief  side of the
regulator to the oil pump inlet screen housing to provide a path for the
bypassed oil flow. Refitting a sump gasket would not normally block any
passages.

Anything that restricted the pressure relief, including the return line
or the relief valve itself would cause high oil pressure. The most
likely cause would be a sticking pressure relief valve caused by getting
contamination into the relief piston assembly.

I would remove the relief valve retaining cap, the spring, & the
plunger, clean the parts, & reassemble. Make sure that the piston moves
freely in it's bore.

I have attached a drawing of the BN1,2 oil passages which will be
removed on the list copy of this message.

Regards,
Dave Russell

Manuel Formosinho Sanchez wrote:
 > After removing and refiting with a new gasket the crank case (oil
sump) of
 > my 100/4 BN1 the oil pressure jumped to extremely high levels any
ideas why?
 > Regards
 > Manuel Sanchez

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of BN1
Oil passages.jpg]