Paint color distribution, was RE: MGB cars

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Paint color distribution, was RE: MGB cars
From: "BJ8Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 08:30:13 -0800
Dave, here's some info on color distribution from the BJ8 registry.  Your
"seat of the pants" assessment was certainly not too far off.  Out of 6,130
BJ8s now included in the registry (34.6% of total production), I have
documentation (either copies of BMIHT certificates, or the data is copied
directly from the BMIHT archives) for the original colors of 1,785 cars (10%
of total BJ8 production).  The distribution is as follows, in order of
decreasing numbers.  Percentages are relative to 1,785:

BRG:  518 (29%)
Healey Blue:  421 (23.5%)
Colorado Red:  298 (16.7%)
Ivory White:  271 (15%)
Black:  111 (6%)
Metallic Golden Beige:  92 (5%, but we know there were a total of 553 of
these, or 3% of total BJ8 production).
Healey Blue/White:  30 (1%)
Ivory White/Black:  13 (0.7%)
Black/Colorado Red:  10 (0.5%)
Colorado Red/Black:  10 (0.5%)
Ivory White/Red:  7 (0.3%)
BRG/Ivory White:  1 (this is not a color combination listed as available by
Clausager, however there was at least one per BMIHT records.  It was a
    Home market (RHD) car, unfortunately written off in South Africa in
1970)
Colorado Red/White:  1
Florida Green:  1
Silver Grey:  1 (special order, and only one existed)

Having a large number of BMIHT certificates collected together allows for
some interesting comparisons, observations, and statistics.  For example,
paging through the 500 or so that I have from the earlier cars toward the
later shows that in the beginning, Ivory White and Black were dominating
colors, whereas toward the middle Healey Blue takes over, and for later
production BRG begins to dominate.  Almost all of the last 50 cars produced
were BRG.  I suppose this gives some indication of what the factory thought
was a good seller as production progressed.

To improve the accuracy of the statistics, the more actual data we have, the
better.  I would very much like to have as many as possible of the BMIHT
certificates collected.  Anyone who knows they have not provided a copy for
their BJ8 and would like to contribute to our knowledge of Healeys is
invited to send me a copy -  scanned, fax, or regular mail.

Thanks, and Happy Healeying!
Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666 (originally BRG (yawn!))
Havelock, NC  USA