Re: Making Side Curtains

To: Greg Lemon <glemon@neb.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Making Side Curtains
From: Robert Westcott <westcotc@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2006 15:25:27 -0800
Greg,

    I have done this, it is simple, they look great, work well and are
definitely not concourse.  I sandblasted the frames, reinforced the
corners by welding in some small triangles, painted the frames black.
    Bought thin (16th") poly carbonate sheet from a local plastic shop.
(better and much harder than plexiglass)  About $12.  Made cardboard
templates. drew them on the plastic.  (It cuts nicely with tin snips).
Lined them up, drilled holes in the plastic where all the original side
curtain holes were. I used a bunch of short, stainless screws and nuts
to hold them on the frame. These could be painted black and be even less
obvious. Ignore the split, make them one solid piece.  (When was the
last time you went through a toll booth or used hand signals?)
    Mounted them on the car and did some fine tuning to the fit.  Did
not bolt the rear corner so I could slide my hand inside to release the
door opener.  The poly is flexible enough to do this easily.
    Bottom line is they are great, exceptionally clear, more ridged, no
flapping in the wind, better visibility, easy to keep clean, work better
than the originals, are almost invisible at 15'.  Love them and would be
happy to take and post pics if needed.  Give me a call.
    I keep them handy in the trunk in some old flannel (saves the price
of a side curtain bag) pillowcases to keep them clean and protected.

Rob Westcott

'55 BN1

(425) 644-9590