Front Wheel offset

To: britishcars@shaw.ca, Healey <Healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Front Wheel offset
From: Alan Seigrist Blue 100 <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 19:38:32 +0800
Paul -

Yes that is an odd one.

Have you checked the overall condition of the suspension?  i.e.
bushings, kingpins, shocks (leaking?), shock mounts? etc etc?  Does
your car pull left or right ?  Any pull is definitely not acceptable
(both my '53 BN1 and '64 BJ8 drive straight and true on the freeway
with no scuttle shake).

The scuttle shake tends suggest that you have a bad shock absorber
(but there can be other causes as well), so perhaps you have a shot
shock and it is completely trashed and sticking out.

Also, the cars are essentially hand made in smaller quantities than
the TRs, so you can expect a little spacing variances between the body
and the chassis, although 1" variance is generally not acceptable.

Another way to check to see if your car has been in a front end
accident (or not) is to check to see if the front of the bonnet
opening (on the shroud) is properly screwed into the front shroud
crossmember support.... if not, it might suggest your car was in fact
hit in the front but cosmetically repaired well, but still off.  This
can be the most difficult piece to line up after a front end
accident...

Let us know answers to the above questions and then we can better
diagnose for you.

--
Alan

'53 BN1 '64 BJ8