Problem with Alternator Alternative bypassed

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Problem with Alternator Alternative bypassed
From: Raymond Carbone <racarbon@optonline.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 17:26:45 -0500
Hi All,

As some may remember, I was unsuccessful in getting a Rebuild and Bench-Tested
Delco 10-SI alternator to perform in my BJ8.  After much research, self-doubt,
frustration, and ... and not finding any faults (SI, wiring, battery, etc.) I
purchased and installed a brand new Delco CS130 105amp unit.  Without changing
the wiring, notching the alternator's main support point to straddle the old
generator front bracket, and fashioning a rear alternator mount (attached via
the ground bolt) and spacer which attached to the rear generator mount, I
finally got time to test the unit today.

The result,  at between 1000 - 1100 RPM and no load, I achieved 14.8V at the
battery.  With a load (lights, driving lights, heater blower, and directional)
at the same RPM I attained a 12.8V reading.  Reading increased at increased
RPMs.

Additionally, to add extra support for the alternator attachment, I welded an
angle bracket to the middle of the spacer which attaches to the rear of the
alternator by the ground bolt.  With this rear alternator attachment, I have 3
alternator support points...2 (front and rear) connected to the old generator
bracket and 1 adjustment support on the other side.  I believe these will
provide sufficient support in operation.....I hope.

An interesting thing, remember when I mentioned that my DVM sensed
electromagnetic fields and showed erratic readings even when unattached?  Well,
I still get the same erratic readings with the new alternator.  My sense is
that the disturbance is not coming from the alternator.  At this point I am
unable to determine its source but the Coil, Distributor, and my Crain
Electronic Ignition box is in the area....not to mention the Plugs and Wires.
Any thoughts?

As for the wiring, I maintained all the connections previously established for
the SI.  Through the old (gutted) regulator distribution point I have attached
the CS terminal "L" connected to the switch through the Idiot Light and
terminal "S" connected to the alternator BATT terminal.  I added a parallel
connection from the switch-side of the fuse box through a 100 Ohm resistor to
the distribution point on the old regulator to serve in case the idiot light
burned out.  In the near future, I intend to move the terminal "S" connection
from the BATT terminal to a point either on the old regulator or starter
solenoid.  Any thoughts?

Well, I guess that's it for now.  Since the CS is working within the same
environment and connections the SI failed in, I must assume the SI ...for some
reason...is faulty.  What the problem is or why it bench tested OK so many
times by professionals is a mystery to me..but I will find out.

Thanks to all that gave me the benefit of their support.

Best regards,

Ray
64BJ8 (Original Owner)