Spring pin

To: Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spring pin
From: "P.J.Aeckerlin" <j.aeckerlin@tiscali.nl>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 14:18:01 +0100
Friends,
next problem! This time the bolts holding the front end of my BJ8 phase
2 leaf springs. When I put the pin (which is in fact a bolt with a round
head) through the bracket I still can see a bit of unthreaded stem
sticking through the hole - it looks like the unthreaded part of the
stem is too long. Did some measuring: total width of bracket (outside) =
2.256" . Length of unthreaded stem of the 'pin' = 2.374" . Total length
of  'pin' =  2.988".  In case anyone has a BMC drawing: part number is
1G9321.
As the 'pin' is tightened by means of a spring washer and a normal nut
one would expect it would be possible to squeeze the spring washer
between the bracket and the nut, but that's not the case.
Have I picked the wrong bolts out of my bucket with fasteners?  Don't
have any similar/other 'pins' in   my collection. If the worst comes to
the worst, I can always drill a hole through the stem and use a castle
nut plus cotter pin, but then I get Rich Chrysler on my neck.......
Thanks in advance
Jack Aeckerlin, The Netherlands
1964 BJ8 29432