3000 Engine Rebuild - HELP

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: 3000 Engine Rebuild - HELP
From: Bruce Phillips <restorationguy@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 16:08:08 -0800 (PST)
Looking for help. Am rebuilding Austin Healey 3000 engine. I purchased the car
with engine disassembled. I have already installed a new camshaft. In process
of installing the timing gear. The camshaft moves backwards about 1/4 inch
until it hits the engine mounting plate. The locating plate on the front of the
engine behind the camshaft timing gear stops the camshaft from moving forward.
What stops the camshaft from moving backwards or towards the back of the
engine? In the schematics and shop manual, I do not see any kind of
thrustwasher such as found on the crankshaft which stops the movement. Need
help. What am I missing?

  Bruce