Re: Is Mine Really the Right Engine?

To: "Ned Smith" <smithn00@kitepilot.net>
Subject: Re: Is Mine Really the Right Engine?
From: "Alan Seigrist Blue 100" <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 09:24:39 +0800
Ned -

A good thing to check is the harmonic balancer.  If yours has the
later-style one piece balancer used on later BJ8s (i.e. for 1/2" belt)
then probably some PO bought a used BT7 generator sometime in the past
because it was cheaper than rebuilding the BJ8 generator, hence the
switchover.

You can tell if the HB is the later style if the balancer itself is ~
3/4" wide on the outside edge).  The earlier two piece balancers (i.e.
for BN4/6/7 BT7 BJ7 and early BJ8) are only ~ 3/8" wide on the outside
edge.  Also at low engine speeds, the later BJ8 H.B. can wobble a bit
(check for wobbling at idle) where as the earlier HBs don't wobble at
all.

If that's the case, you should think about finding a late generator
(they have more output), pulley, belt and side cover mount.

Best Regards,

Alan

'53 BN1 '64 BJ8