Re: Does anybodys Healey run well all or most of the time?

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Does anybodys Healey run well all or most of the time?
From: RAWDAWGS@aol.com
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 12:59:38 EST
As one peruses this list it appears the most common recent failures  result
from inferior repro ignition parts. When I bought my BN4 (for  $350) in the mid
70s I drove out to a farm where I worked summers for about  5 years and I
recall it stranded me 3 times. Fuel pump would quit now and then  but I would
hit
it with a hammer and it would start right back up. I had a wire  wheel (48
spk) come apart (thankfully with little drama). I had two events that  were
real
head scratchers though, once when a ammeter gauge I didnt know  existed up
under the dash had a wire come off, and then once in my  garage as I was
starting the car, it backfired and blew some kind of  plug on the back of the
manifold and it took me about 4 hrs to figure that  one out. I found it on the
floor,
pressed it back in and 30 yrs later it is  still there. The engine is
understressed and the tractor mechanic on  the farm would tune it for me and
set the
valves. I would think if one installs  a modern ignition and fuel pump you
address most of the caused of road  failure.

Scott  McPherson
Lake Charles, LA

BN4L  Healey
MB500SEC