It Was Working When I took it out!!

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: It Was Working When I took it out!!
From: "tom felts" <tomfelts@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 10:45:27 -0500
65 BJ8, P2-----Tach.

I removed all dash gauges recently to install a new dash.  Put everything
back together and now the tach doesn't work.

I have insured the ground is connected and the two wires are connected.
The only confusing part is the white wires that are tied together with a
white plastic holder that fit over a connecting screw.  Two things fit over
that screw--the plastic white wire holder and a U shaped metal connector.

I wasn't sure if  it (the white holder) went on before the metal U shaped
piece or vise/versa.  When I first put it on during re-installation, I put
the plastic white wire holder on first then the U connector.  Tach didn't
work.  Reversed and put the metal U connector on first and then the white
holder.  Tach still didn't work.

Any ideas?  Did I screw something up inside the tach when I inserted the
metal U connector all the way inside the tach?

I could almost swear when I first removed it before adding the new dash
that the metal U connector was on first and then the plastic holder.

The tach worked perfectly b/4 I removed it.   The car has, and had before,
a Pertronix.

TIA for any advice.
Tom