Re: Doanls Healey's RAF Service

To: "Jack Feldman" <qualitas@millenicom.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Doanls Healey's RAF Service
From: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 22:49:04 -0500
Actually Donald Healey was in the RFC Royal Flying Corp, a forerunner of
what was to become the RAF in April 1918.

The problem of the breathing of castor oil was because most of the aircraft
of the time were fitted with rotary engines. These had the crankshaft fixed
in the middle and both oil and fuel were fed by way of the hollow crankshaft
to the spinning cylinders. The exhaust and unburned oil escaped
centrifugally out the exhaust ports. The poor pilot sitting behind all that
both breathed and tasted the oily exhaust.

This caused most active pilots to have a rather constant case known as "the
squitters" (diarrhea).

Amazing men in an amazing time.

Rich Chrysler