Stripped Steering box fitting

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Stripped Steering box fitting
From: "davidwjones" <davidwjones@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 16:45:49 -0500
Folks,

The threads on the steering box cover end are stripped on my BT7. (This, the
end plate on the steering box with the threaded fitting that the stator tube
feeds through, that accepts the brass olive, and locks the steering stator
tube down).

-I have already tried a new brass nut, -and the threads that are worn ARE the
ones on the steering box cover end.

Has anyone got a means to address this without replacing the steering box
cover end?

Barring that, --Does anyone know if the steering box cover end can be replaced
without removing the steering column from the car?  -Or if it would be worth
trying to do it "in situ" ?

David W. Jones
'62 Mk II BT7 tricarb
Cumberland, RI USA