Missing washer for overdrive oil pump

To: <Healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Missing washer for overdrive oil pump
From: "Ron Fine" <RonFineEsq@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 16:07:32 -0800
After figuring out that I had installed the oil pump cam backward in my
overdrive I pulled the transmission from my BN7 with the helpful suggestions
of several members on the list.  Pulling it was not that hard using my
cherry picker to lift it out of the car past the passenger door which was
removed for safety sake.  I have "dry fit" everything back together and I
can see through several openings that the pump cam (installed in the correct
orientation) has some forward and backward movement on the shaft.  Somewhere
between 1/16 and 1/8 inch.  It can slide forward or backward approximately
that amount.  Was this clearance designed in or am I missing a spacer or
other washer on either end of the cam?  There wasn't any such spacer when I
originally tore down the transmission so I know I didn't lose it and I don't
see one listed in the Service Parts List book.   The back end of the cam
runs against a bronze thrust washer.  The front end of the cam, if moved
forward, would run against a large circle clip.  It doesn't seem correct.
What am I missing here?  As always, any help is always appreciated.
Ron Fine
61BN7