Results of Winter Projects - Longish

To: "Healey List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Results of Winter Projects - Longish
From: "James Sailer" <BJ8healey@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 10:46:36 -0700
Well it was the first day of clear dry roads here in eastern Idaho where the
weather was acceptable for a drive ..  so out went the BJ8 to see the results
of the winter projects.

1. New slotted and drilled discs with EBC green stuff pads - I have only gone
so far as setting in the pads and discs .. no test on extremely hard braking
yet as I want to do another 1/2 hour of braking and cooling but I am
impressed. Big improvement and very progressive feel.  I saw that MOSS is now
offering EBC pads in their catalogue.  I got mine from the web at $20 less.

2. Richer needles in my carbs - Don't ask me why as I am at 5,000 feet but I
needed richer needles in my carbs.  Faster better starting and more top end
pull.  I have a hesitation at 2500 RPM that I need to work through (but a snow
storm is on the way and I don't want to push my luck today).  I also adjusted
the chokes better at the recommendation of David Nock.  They indeed did need
better adjustment.  Thanks.

3. Oil Pan leaks - For yet another year I am trying to eliminate oil pan
leaks.  Maybe a foolish endeavor but heck, it is after all a hobby.  This
winter I ditched the cork gasket.  Cok always weeps.  I made myself a single
piece paper gasket (approx. 1/8 thick).  After about 40 minutes of driving I
have no leaks or weeps.  we will see what happens over time.

4. Parking brake adjust - What can you say.  I was lazy not to adjust it
better during the restoration (I wanted to drive it).

5. Oil Filter - During the annual oil change I switched to a K&N filter.

6. Switched my Alloy valve cover - I had an alloy valve cover on my car with
the "Austin Healey" lettering which did not fit my tastes (although it sealed
beautifully).  I switched it out for a works style alloy cover graciously
provided by Cape International for my patience when I waited for my Hardtop
from them (no financial interest .. just a pleased customer).

7. Hard top tweaks - I fussed over the fitting of my hardtop and adjusted the
window seals some more.  It is a great seal now and I love the zero scuttle
movement when I drive the car with the hardtop on.

8. Gas gauge sender - Installed a new gas gauge sender.  Although it gives a
good reading at a stop it swings wildly when moving.  Any hints on the cure.
(orientation?  I recall something of another fix as well.)

9.  Car got a total cleaning of the underside, including loosening the bottoms
of the fenders and getting all grit and debris out..  Although there is no
noticeable driving improvement it certainly makes me feel better knowing there
is nothing creeping around unseen.

Tasks still at hand

1. I have new alloy door finishers that need to be installed.  Mine although
acceptable look out of place on a restored car.

2. Am awaiting an original style distributor cap and bumble-bee wiring to
install.  I have had a TR6 cap on my car.  Works great and definitely avoids
potential moisture problems but not original looking.  It will go in my spare
kit in the car.

3. Fabricate a bracket to mount my coil on my alternator - Since switching
over to an alternator I had to relocate my coil (between the horns) which
looks certainly non-original.  I am feeling that if I mount it on the
alternator it may hide it and at the same time have a more original
appearance.

4. PCV - Am going to install a PCV system on the BJ8 and see if that too helps
with the oil leaks (although at present with the pan not leaking I have none).
I tried this once before but had such a hurricane going into my valve cover
cap that I pulled it off.  I am going to try better sealing this time.

5. Still searching for a reasonably priced Lucas battery switch.  I have an
aftermarket switch on my car at present.

Well.  Hope this wasn't too boring!

Jim Sailer 66 BJ8